According to AnglingCharts.com, there are in fact closer to 1332 islands on Lough Corrib, rather than 365 as is generally thought. This number depends on water levels of the lake and changes regularly. Coordinates for the islands and rocks on lough Corrib can be seen here.
List of the main islands on Lough Corrib/ Príomh Oileáin Loch Coirib
1. Inchaquinn or Inisquin (1.18 sq mile, 1152 acres) located off Greenfields 4 miles west of Headford in the Parsh of Killursa and connected to the mainland by a causeway. An abbey was founded there by St. Brendon in the 6th Century.
2. Tonacurragh (1.08 sq mile, 691 acres) is encircled by the old Corrib River, the Cut and Lough Corrib. It has no houses or inhabitants.
3. Inishmacatreer (0.5 sq mile, 320 acres) (the island of the son of the three) is located NW of Ballycurrin and like Inchaquinn is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
4. Inishdooras located at the tip of the istmus that stretches out into the lake from Cornamona is connected to the mainland by a bridge.
5. Inchagoill (0.4 sq mile, 256 acres) located between Cong and Oughterard is probably the best known of the Corrib Island. See links at the right for further information. Two ferries operated by Corrib Ferries bring visitors to the island during the tourist season from either Cong or Oughterard. Cong Tourism have a feature on Inchagoill and its history.
INCHAGOILL is also mentioned in a survey compiled by Conor O'Brien (1945) for the Irish Tourist Association Topographical and Geological survey (go to ‘relevant links’) in which the author refers to it as 'The island of the devout foreigner (or Stranger)' or 'Inis a' Ghaill Chraibhthigh'. This document also refers to the holy church of Teampall Phádraig which is 'of the age of St. Patrick' according to the author's source (Dr. Petrie who wrote'Round Towers') and 'Teampuill na Neeve' note: spelling used as given in document. A monument with early Christian inscription called the 'Lugnaedon Stone' is referenced. The description of this monument is taken from Wilde's book entitled: Loch Corrib.
Vestiges of the Celtic Mythology in the Placenames of Lough Corrib and its Hinterland by Joseph Mannion is an adaptation of several pieces in Feasta that Seán Ó Cinnéide wrote as Gaeilge concerning the pagan origins of some of the placenames on or around Lough Corrib (see ‘relevant article’).
Seán Ó Cinnéide strongly refutes the the depiction of the island as ‘The island of the devout foreigner.
Other large island include Rabbit Island off Rinnaknock, Lee’s Island between Knockferry and Kilbeg and Inishdawee (island of the two cows) off the Carrick shore.
Zara Brady has written an interesting account of Rabbit Island.
The following is abstracted from an article by David Collins on Oughterard Heritage
Rev. John Darcy Lived there in 1855 and the Landlord was George O’Flahertie
The Island, as part of the O’Flaherty estate, was for sale in 1864 through the Landed Estates Court. The Landed Estates Court allowed creditors of bankrupt estates to have the estate sold so as to receive payment.
‘Lot No. 11, being lot No. 12 in former rental. The islands of Inishanbo and other islands attached situate in the same Barony and County, containing 39 acres 3 roods and 8 reaches statute measure and producing a net yearly debt of £12. 9s.8d. Dated this 28th day of April 1864′. Edward William Aucketell Jones 36 years old is recorded as living there in 1901. ‘Gentleman Retired Captin H.M. Army J.P. for County Galway’
Thady Lydon is also recorded as living on the island with his wife Susan and sons Patrick and Joseph, along with his daughter Mary Anne
In 1911 Edward William Anketell Jones is again recorded as head of household with Ruth Metaxa, Thelma Louise Metaxa and servant Elizabeth Kelly also present
|Geography of Lough Corrib|
|Management of the Corrib|
|Towns and villages around Lough Corrib|
|Galway Clifden Railway Line|
|Mills and lime kilns|
|Islands of Lough Corrib|
|Corrib Boat Builders|
|Castles around Cong|
|Lagarosiphon major (African Weed)|
|Images of invasive species|
|Boating Accidents and Disasters|
|1916 and Civil War|
|Famine and emigration|
|Media and film|
|Lyrics of Anach Cuan song|
|Current Rowing Club|
|History of rowing|