NUIG Rowing club is not only one of the most successful rowing clubs in Galway, it is one of the most successful in Ireland. In the last decade, they have captured numerous National Championship titles in the Mens Senior 4+ and 4- categories, in addition to Seniors 8's, Inter 8's, 4's, Novice 8's and Novice 4's.
St. Josephs College Rowing Club, more commonly referred to as 'The Bish', is located opposite Woodquay pier on the River Corrib in Galway, Ireland. Its membership is closed to pupils of the all-boys secondary school which is situated nearby in Nuns Island. The Club caters to students from J15 level up to the highest Junior level in Ireland, Junior 18A. St. Josephs has a proud history and is one of the most successful junior clubs in Ireland. The Bish almost exclusively competes in Sweep rowing events, although the recent purchase of single sculls has led to renewed participation in this field as well.
It has a healthy rivalry with Colaiste Iognaid (The Jes)
The rowing club was founded in 1934 and has been at its current site at Earl's Island within the grounds of the National University of Ireland, Galway (NUI Galway) since the early nineteen fifties. Former members of the club have gone on to successfully represent Ireland or their club at World Senior Championships, World U23 Championships, World University Games, Henley Royal Regatta, Women’s Henley and National Senior Championships and more recently at the Beijing Olympics.
Now that the Jes is no longer a single sex school, it has a very active girls rowing section.
The clubhouse is located on Earls Island beside the River Corrib, opposite the Cathedral in Galway City. As one of several clubs in Galway it is currently the only club catering for adult novices, recreational rowing and more experienced crews.”
The clubhous is located in Woodquay in Galway on the banks of the River Corrib. The club has a long history dating back to 1908 (see the website for their history). The club has enjoyed success in competitions over the years. In 1974, the club went on to win its third Irish Championship, by the all-conquering 1974 crew which won at Trinity, Cork, Limerick, Athlone, Carlow, Waterford and Galway. The crew was coached by Sean Coll and Martin Fahy. Another highlight of this period came in 1976, when a Ladies Senior 4+, coached by Paddy Lally, won an international event at Nottingham International Regatta.
The famous Jim ‘Ruacan’ Heaney was an inspirational member of the club and spearheaded the developmetn of the club in the 70s.
|Geography of Lough Corrib|
|Management of the Corrib|
|Towns and villages around Lough Corrib|
|Galway Clifden Railway Line|
|Mills and lime kilns|
|Islands of Lough Corrib|
|Corrib Boat Builders|
|Castles around Cong|
|Lagarosiphon major (African Weed)|
|Images of invasive species|
|Boating Accidents and Disasters|
|1916 and Civil War|
|Famine and emigration|
|Media and film|
|Lyrics of Anach Cuan song|
|Current Rowing Club|
|History of rowing|