A popular landlord and supporter of the Land League, Charles Lynch and his family resided in Ballycurrin Estate. He built a lighthouse at the east shore of Lough Corrib beyond Greenfields to guide himself and his father (Captain Peter Lynch) home after their boat trips on the lake (Semple, 1988).
The Estate was passed on to a Clerkin family, who in turn passed it to the Congested Districts Board. Colonel Beddington bought and restored the House and part of the demesne. However, the house was burnt during the Irish Civil War. The house was beautifully renovated and has been used for tourism purposes.
Semple, M. 1988. Where the River Corrib Flows. Castle Print Ltd.
See ‘relevant links’ for more information
See ‘Relevant Links’ to view the history of Currarevagh House Hotel. This house hotel has a rich history and is located on the shores of Lough Corrib. A romantic tale tells that at one stage the house and large estate was won during a game of cards by Henry William Hodgson. He discovered copper along the Hill of Doon Road and lead on the eastern side of Oughterard. Two steamers - the "Lioness" and "Tigress" transported the ore down Lough Corrib to Galway City and they used to stop along the piers of villages along the route.
The existing house was built in 1842, however an earlier house was built on the land in the 18th Century and was located 100 m away from the current house. The O'Flaherties, a powerful Connaught Clan were the original owners of the Estate.
During the struggle for independence in the State a bomb was placed by Free Staters under what is currently the dining room. The plan was foiled and from then on a local member of the IRA was stationed outside the house to ward away any members from further afield to protect the house and its occupants who were thought to have blended very well into the local community.
A famine graveyard exists on the land where the remains of locals who were not brought as far as Oughterard were buried. A consecrated graveyard for Protestants also exists on the site. Much of the land was confiscated by the newly established State and the owners of Currarevagh were left without an income except for the odd paying guest. Today, the establishment is utilised as a country guesthouse.
It featured as the nursing home in the film “The Guard”.
Erected in 1865, Moytura House was the residence of Sir William Wilde who wrote the much loved book entitled ' Loch Coirib'. The house was named after the Battle of Moytura and is mentioned in his book. Go to ‘relevant links’ on this page to read more information on Moytura House and the location in which it was built and for information contained in the NUI Galway website (Landed Estates Database) relating to Moytura House. The house is still in excellent condition.
A few hundred yards away a house existed which was used to house Abbots from Cong Abbey during times of persecution at a place called Abbotstown. According to the Irish Tourist Association General and Topographical Survey of 1945 this house was then a cow shed on lands owned by Gardiners. See ‘relevant links’ for more information.
Nearby again existed the house in which the last Lord Abbot Prendergast resided. It was a small house. He died in 1829 and was buried at Cong Abbey. Go to ‘relevant links’ for more.
Go to ‘relevant links’ to view the history of Lisdonagh Hous.
Lisdonagh House was built by the Reddingtons in 1720 for the St. George family who were prominent Landlords in Galway. Click on the website link for Lisdonagh House to read the current owners’ account of the history of the house and about a so-called colourful character called Valda Palmer. It is currently operating as a country house hotel.
Built in 1822 by Scottish Engineer Alexander Nimmo, it was used by him as his residence and pay-office whilst involved in the construction of various engineering projects in the area. He resided here until his death in Dublin 10 years later.
It is located at the point where the River Béal na mBreac enters Lough Corrib.
For further information on the house please go to ‘relevant links’ on this page to read more.
This house was built by General Booth, prior to Griffith’s Valuation in the middle of the 19th Century. The house at one point was sold to a Lord Montmorres. He was murdered on his journey from a Magistrates meeting in 1880 and nearby residents (Flanagans) refused to have his body brought into their house (see right). To read an interesting account of Ebor hall, its bamboo plantation and link to perch fishing go to ‘relevant links’ to download an article of interest. It was believed that Lord Montmorres was a spy and was against the Land League. The violent murder, in which he was shot six times, was even reported in The New York Times newspaper(28th September 1880). Although the Flanagans were arrested, nobody was charged with the crime.
Go to ‘relevant links’ to read more information.
Glenlo Abbey, now five star Glenlo Abbey Hotel, and formerly known as Kentfield, was built by a well-known banker and a member of the Ffrench family, one of the fourteen tribes of Galway in 1740. The Ffrench family resided in Glenlo Abbey for 115 years until 1855. The stone chapel there was bulit in 1790. Subseqqent to 1855, Glenlo had a number of occupants:
The Blake Family 1855 - 1879
The Palmer Family 1897 - 1984
The Bourke Family 1984-2013
The Lally Family 2013 - present
See article by Zara Brady under ‘relevant links’ for a full history
For a comprehensive history of Glenlo, click here.
Ross Castle in on the eastern shore of Ross Lake and can be seen from the N59 as you travel towards Oughterard. It was constructed in 1539 by the O’Flahertys, one of the tribes of Galway. It was subsequently acquired by the Martin family who built the present manor house on the on the former castle’s foundation. In 1786 Wilson refers to Ross as the seat of Mr. Martin. It was held in fee by James Martin at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £20. On the shore of Ross Lake, the childhood home of the author, Violet Florence Martin is now open to the public for part of the year. Home of Claude Chevasse in the 20th century and later restored by the McLaughlin family, who purchased it in the 1980’s and have spent the decades since restoring it to ist present splendour. It was a virtual ruin when Chevasse resided there and the family lived in relative poverty. It is now run as an upmarket getaway and has an estate of 120 acres.
Print collection of Maggie Land Blanck.
1. Ebor Hall; (2) site of murder; (3) Flanagan cottage.
Lisdonagh House near Headford, overlooks Knockma Hill and Lough Hackett.
BUILT HERITAGE BIG HOUSES
Keane’s Bar at Maum, where Alexander Nimmo once resided when it was known as ‘Corrib Lodge’.
|Geography of Lough Corrib|
|Management of the Corrib|
|Towns and villages around Lough Corrib|
|Galway Clifden Railway Line|
|Mills and lime kilns|
|Islands of Lough Corrib|
|Corrib Boat Builders|
|Castles around Cong|
|Lagarosiphon major (African Weed)|
|Images of invasive species|
|Boating Accidents and Disasters|
|1916 and Civil War|
|Famine and emigration|
|Media and film|
|Lyrics of Anach Cuan song|
|Current Rowing Club|
|History of rowing|