Annaghdown or Anach Cuain is located on the eastern shores of Lough Corrib.
According to figures released by the Central Statistics Office for Census 2011, there were 234 people living in Annaghdown, Co. Galway.
In 1828 the Caisléan Nua boat left Annaghdown Pier filled with people and animals. They intended to go to the market at Fair Hill. Tragedy struck when a hole that came in the boat was made bigger and only 12 of the 31 passengers on board were saved.
For more on this terrible tragedy please click here to be redirected to the section of this website on Boating Accidents and Disasters.
Situated on the south shore of a small bay on the east side of Lough Corrib, Annaghdown Castle was probably built by the last Bishop of Annaghdown who was appointed there in 1421 (www.excavations.ie). It is known that a Nicholas Lynch occupied the castle in 1574 owing to the finding of documentary evidence which supports this. A more detailed report can be read by going to the website ‘excavations.ie’ . The link to this report can be found under ‘relevant links’.
According to the Megalithic Ireland website, the authors suggest that the castle was built by the O’Flaherty clan in the late 14th century. See ‘relevant links’.
It is believed that the first monastery at Annaghdown (Abbey of St Mary de Portu Patrum) was founded by St. Brendan for his sister c. 1195 AD. It is an example of an early fortified monastery. For further information and images, please see the link to the Megalithic Ireland website (see ‘relevant links’).
This 15th century cathedral is described in the website of Megalithic Ireland as ‘rather plain’. It stands to the east of Annaghdown Abbey. See ‘relevant links’ for further information and images.